Lightning Deals – promotions in which a limited number of discounts are offered on an item for a short period of time, usually 4 to 6 hours (varies per marketplace).
Customers on Amazon can find products which are currently in a Lightning Deal, by clicking on “Today’s Deals” on the main page.
Deals for a product are available one per customer until either the promotion period for the deal expires or all the available promotional discounts are claimed.
For a seller to feature an item as a Lightning Deal can help increase sales and it can also be an effective way to reduce your inventory. It is a perfect tool to combine with a Sales Traffic Blast (a product giveaway) on the days close to the Lightning Deal to increase BSR and Keyword rankings.
Lightning Deals on the European Amazon marketplaces are created separately for each country just like PPC ads and promotional coupons are. PAN EU is an advantage during Lightning Deals, because the products are delivered faster to the customers.
How to set up a Lightning Deal?
1. Currently, only Professional Sellers, which requires a monthly subscription fee, are eligible to run Lightning Deals.
2. In order for your product to be eligible for a Lightning Deal, it has to meet some criteria:
- product must have at least a 3-star rating
- deals should include as many variations as possible
- product must not be offensive or otherwise inappropriate, examples of ineligible items (e-cigarettes, alcohol, adult products, etc.)
- product must be Prime eligible
- products must be new items
3. After your account and product fulfill the above criteria, in Seller Central go to ADVERTISING > Lightning Deals
4. Now you should see the products which currently are eligible to be submitted for a Lightning Deal, click on “Advanced Edit” or “See all recommendations”
5. Fill out all the required fields, choose the week on which you would like the Lightning Deal to take place and hit “Submit” (you may edit and change the price and the quantity of items as long as they are in the required range).
6. Wait for Amazon to review and approve the deal.